Website WV Department of Commerce
This position will provide general legal services to the West Virginia Department of Commerce. The position also serves as counsel to the Department of Economic Development and the Department of Tourism. The Department of Commerce consists of eight state agencies; including the Division of Natural Resources, WorkForce West Virginia, Division of Labor, and others. The position is a member of the Department’s executive leadership and will participate in the management of the Department and its agencies.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise and assist other attorneys working in the various agencies and outside counsel.
- Identify, develop, and lead strategic initiatives to advance departmental goals in collaboration with cabinet secretaries and agency heads.
- Attend and participate in regular meetings to maintain close coordination with other state agencies and the Governor’s Office.
- Advise departmental personnel and meet with private entities regarding issues on state economic and workforce development initiatives.
- Represent the departments’ interests on matters with internal and external stakeholders.
- Advise and assist the departments on federal and state legislative issues.
- Draft contractual agreements between the departments, agencies, and outside entities.
- Advise and assist the departments with procurement processes.
- Manage ongoing litigation involving the departments.
- Manage Freedom of Information Act requests.
Compensation and Benefits include:
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications,
- Medical Insurance,
- Optional Flexible Benefits Coverage (dental, vision, disability, and excess medical),
- Life insurance,
- Defined benefit pension plan,
- Section 457 deferred compensation plan,
- 12 paid holidays, annual leave, and
- Sick leave.
- A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- A member in good standing with the West Virginia State Bar.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org